Are You Covered From Flood Damage? - Temecula Insurance Agency - Carver for Auto, Home, Life & Health

Are You Covered From Flood Damage?

If you are relying on your existing insurance policies, you may not have enough coverage.

As the heavy El Nino rains continue to pound California, you may be hearing more and more stories of flood waters making their way into people’s homes. If you are thinking that your existing homeowners insurance policy will provide protection in case of flood damage, think again. Any damage that is done by a flood will not be covered under your existing home insurance policy. You will need to invest in a specific flood insurance policy to get that kind of coverage. You can invest in a flood insurance policy from your independent insurance company or through the National Flood Insurance Program (NFIP). The NFIP will provide coverage for up to $100,000 for personal possessions and $250,000 for the structure of your house. Keep in mind that flood insurance policies have a 30-day waiting period until they will kick in, which means the longer you wait to get coverage, the higher your risk. If a flood hits your home while your policy is still in the waiting period, you will be left paying for the damages out of your own pocket. Even if you don’t live in a high-risk area, you should still consider a flood insurance policy, especially with the current El Nino conditions. If you do live in a high-risk area, you may be required to purchase flood insurance by your lender. Talk with your insurance agent and lender to make sure you have the right amount of coverage for your needs. You can find out what type of floodplain you live in through FEMA’s online resources. When it comes to finding the right insurance policies to meet your needs, contact the insurance professionals at Carver Insurance Services, Inc.. With offices in Menifee and Murrieta, we can help with all of your Southern California insurance needs to ensure you are properly protected.

Share this post