Must-Have Insurance Tips for Back-to-School Time - Temecula Insurance Agency - Carver for Auto, Home, Life & Health

Must-Have Insurance Tips for Back-to-School Time

The Target shopping aisles are filled, multicolored notebooks are stacked up in shopping carts, and cars are packed to the brim with dorm room essentials. It’s that time of year: Back to school. Your student may have everything checked off on their list of things “to-do” before heading off to campus. But is your list complete as well? Protect your child while they are away from home with the proper insurance coverage.  Here is a general guide of policies to review before your child embarks on a new academic journey. Homeowners Renters Insurance: Is your student living in an off-campus apartment or house? Your student’s needs may not be met under your current policy. Make sure that they are still protected with renters insurance. Landlord’s policies usually cover the structure of the house or apartment, not necessarily the possessions of the renters.  Coverage of Personal Property: The majority of homeowners polices provide 10% of Coverage C (Personal Property) for property owned by an insured that is a residence other than the insured’s.  That means that 10% of a student’s property would be covered if they live in a dormitory on campus and if the damage is caused by a covered peril. The same applies for apartments or houses off-campus, however certain items may require special coverage (i.e. jewelry, electronics, rare items, and more). Auto Coverage Without a Car at School Is your student bringing his or her car to campus? If not, they will still need coverage for when they come home on the weekends or holidays and want to drive. Contact us to learn more about a discount on coverage for a student who is attending school more than 100 miles from home and are not taking the vehicle with them. Coverage With a Car at School If you decided to allow your student to take their car to college, and the vehicle is registered and listed on your policy, the car will be covered if used by a listed student.  However, if your student is going to school out of state, call your insurance agent to make sure the carrier writes coverage in the college’s state and location. Depending on the change of the principal location, there could be a change in premium. Keep those Grades Up! Don’t forget to ask for a discount!  Your student may qualify for a good-student discount. Most carriers require that a student be enrolled in at least four courses per term as a full-time student at an accredited college or university. Although your student has their own newly found independence, encourage them to study and get those exceptional grades!   Tips to Protect Personal Property
  1. Always lock your doors. Talk to your roommates and make sure you’re on the same page when no one is in the room.
  2. Invest in a safe or lockbox. Take the initiative to prevent the theft of your valuable items.
  3. Create an inventory list. Record the value of your personal property to determine the coverage you need in the event of a loss.
  Your child going away to college is an exciting and overwhelming time! Carver Insurance Services, Inc. is here to help ensure that you have the best insurance coverage to protect your student.  Proudly serving Murrieta and surrounding areas, contact Carver Insurance Services, Inc. today to learn more.

Share this post